Sunday 21 January 2007

'T was a shock

I remember my very first day in London, walking down High street Kensington, i came across a guy who was busy doing some labour jobs on the pavements. i stood and stared at him for what must have been 5 minutes, you see he was white, that to me just did not look right. i wanted to ask him, what the hell was wrong with him? how can he be white and be doing odd jobs like that. and after a long while i walked away, realising for the very first time, how much Apartheid had penetrated me, as much as i, understand the effect of our system and how the rest of the world operates. But it was imbedded in me, that is all i have known and understood. I have always know whites were superior and you NEVER find a white folk doing that kind of job. in my country, that is a black man's job. it was in my subconscious ness, it was a painful revelation.

On Friday i walked around the CBD in Cape Town, there we quite a few constructions going on, i was frantically s3arching for just one, not even white, maybe coloured or Indian soul... i did not even find a single one. i must have seen over 50 men, ALL of them were blacks, and that suddenly felt a bit odd for me. this country sure has a very LOOOOOONG way to go where that is concerned. as much as things might be different theoretically, the reality is sad.. it is a very marginalised society.

No comments:

The geography

The geography