Friday 8 December 2006

Jozi

Went jogging the other day, and it was refreshing to see how clean this place can be, almost as if no one lives around here, well I live in the Northern Suburbs of Jo’burg (Randburg) and it is the least busiest place, posh apparently. There is a nature reserve just few minutes walk, quite different. But one thing that really caught my eye, other than the multiple malls, literally every second to third block there is a mall. And the are all packed. I digress, well what I noticed was the fact that Armed Response, must be a lucrative business to get into. I mean, every house has some form of armed response and there are placards everywhere, and in some cases there are security guards, in the middle or a residential dwelling,, you’d find a small security guards kiosk thing. We are not talking your average security within a complex. In this case it seems like the community somehow came together to have a stationary security kiosk within their midst, sort of guarding a section of the suburb.


And I took the minibus taxi the other day, I hadn’t taken that in years, it was quite an experience, on my way back I sat at the front considering I wasn’t sure where to get off, so I thought it better to sit next to the driver. I ended up being caught in collecting the fares, it wasn’t fun. You get confused with all the moneys everyone gives you, before my stop, this lad from the back was complaining about wrong change and all. I dunno why didn’t that taxi have a conductor, that is the norm and makes things easy. And I notices, it is strictly the less well off who use that mode of transport. but I guess the difference between the bigger and smaller cities, is that in bigger cities you get all races using it, white, black, coloured and Indians. I was shocked to see a white person at the taxi rank, that is not normal. But then again I haven’t really lived in Jozi, maybe it has always been the case, as for Cape Town, strictly blacks and coloureds, and so are most places.

No comments:

The geography

The geography