Thursday 7 December 2006

This is where it starts

On more lighter note we all have heard all sorts of stories about South Africa right? or the continent as a whole, and I am sure what comes to mind first is CRIME and/or APARTHEID, well depending on your politicisation and all sorts, the order in which you associate the country with the two will vary.

Now, in an attempt to dispel all ‘popaganja’ (because frankly there ain't nothing proper-about it), and misconceptions about this place. At the same time being brutally honest telling it exactly how it is. I will be dedicating a blog to the Continent and especially South Africa, as it often will be my main point of reference.

My current blog, is just about me, and a lot of sh!t I sometimes come across or create. That will continue, being a place where I go and let it all out. But the 2nd blog, will strictly be my observations, taking into consideration all the knowledge acquired through my travels (just kidding, am far from it, still very much in the leaning process). But I will now and then compare it to what my minimal touristy knowledge about other parts of the world I have been to has offered me. I am open to be corrected in this case by more knowledgeable people. Acknowledging my own patriotism, I will attempt at all cost to be as honest and factual about this.

So be patient, I am not even sure where to begin, how? what exactly to focus on? But I have a burning desire to actually tell it like it is. And this is also, for me, a journey into getting to know SA, I was talking to the soul brother last night, we spoke about what he was currently reading and my intended travel around Southern Africa(Mozambique, Swaziland, Botwana) in the next 2 weeks. He is reading a few books about Zimbabwe and Miriam Makeba. And when we got talking about the infrastructure in SA, especially in relation to the up coming world cup, in particular the transport infrastructure. I was honest enough to say that I am have never been in a metro in SA, I mean all my life, I refused to catch the metro, I had my own ‘reasons’ of course (or rather some bulsh!t excuses).And he just went like, so you are a snob hah…actually he is right. But as part of an attempt to really understand this place, I will, and on my own, catch the metro soon. That will constitute one of the subjects on my new blog.

No comments:

The geography

The geography